It should be no surprise to anyone who knows me or regularly reads this blog that I am a gun owner. I believe the 2nd Amendment to be just as important as the first if not more so. (Actually I think the entire Bill of Rights is important and if we lose one amendment the rest will fall like dominoes). We know that most democrats hate guns, strike that, most democrats hate regular citizens having guns. It is easier to control a disarmed population. When the Obama administration tried some overt gun law action it was trounced and the president told radical left wing activist Sarah Brady about more gun control; “I just want you to know that we are working on it,” ... “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.” So again it is no surprise that he president is backing this U.N. Small Arms Treaty and calling it harmless to everyday Americans. But lets take a closer look, Larry Bell from Forbes put it this way, if the US Senate ratifies this "treaty" it will have the following effect;
- Enact tougher licensing requirements, creating additional bureaucratic red tape for legal firearms ownership.
- Confiscate and destroy all “unauthorized” civilian firearms (exempting those owned by our government of course).
- Ban the trade, sale and private ownership of all semi-automatic weapons (any that have magazines even though they still operate in the same one trigger pull – one single “bang” manner as revolvers, a simple fact the ant-gun media never seem to grasp).
- Create an international gun registry, clearly setting the stage for full-scale gun confiscation.
- In short, overriding our national sovereignty, and in the process, providing license for the federal government to assert preemptive powers over state regulatory powers guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment in addition to our Second Amendment rights.
Remember what I said earlier, this is two amendments gone in one harmless treaty. Former UN Ambassador John Bolton has warned 2nd Amendment advocates the the U.N. “is trying to act as though this is really just a treaty about international arms trade between nation states, but there is no doubt that the real agenda here is domestic firearms control.” Obama has been stacking the deck for gun control in his administration and court picks for a long time. When he said "under the radar" he wasn't kidding. Hillary Clinton, Greg Nickels, Andrew Travers, and the highly anti-gun Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor are just a few of the radical gun control advocates Obama has foisted on us.
Meanwhile the FBI released the official numbers for crime in 2010 and despite the sales of "evil" guns going up since 2008, the number of gun related crimes had gone down for the fourth straight year. In her new book "Chicks with Guns" author Lindsay McCrum says that 15-20 million women in the US are gun owners and proud. She speaks on the stereotypes attributed to guns and women of all ages, ethnicity and social classes love their guns. It's a unique relationship America has with guns, an amazing freedom where as many people own guns for recreation as those who use them for protection.
There are many who fear guns, most fear what they do not understand, but our Founding Fathers knew what they were doing when they gave us the Constitution. They took rights God bestowed upon us and made clearly available to all. That is the reason why 235 years later America is still the shining example of freedom on this planet.
"So, as we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Obama*: 'From my cold, dead hands!" — Charlton Heston, May 20, 2000
(*Previously said Mr.Gore)