Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Year Ago Today

On Feb 17, 2010 I left for my trip to Jerusalem, Israel, it doesn't feel like a year has passed. Sometimes the whole thing feels like a dream. I was in the Holy Land for a week shy of four months, which seemed like a long time while I was there, but as soon I got back it felt like I never left. My life fell right back to the way it was before, like I had taken a nap. But I haven't forgotten that time at all, ups or downs. Though I miss it and would like to go back soon.

The day before I left Israel was a different story, I couldn't wait to get home, I was ready to leave and nothing was going to change my mind. Part of that was responsibilities I had in California, but bigger was the fact that I had never been so far away from home for so long. When I landed in Tel Aviv is when it really hit me I was on the other side of the world and didn't know a soul or how to speak the language. Though as I stood in the security line back in Tel Aviv four months later I was proud of myself, I had conquered, I made it through. Even the language came easier to me, I had studied Spanish in high school, but it never stuck. But in just under 3 months I learned how to read and write Hebrew and even how to speak a couple dozen words. To this day I am still working on my Hebrew, I'm hoping that when I go back I will have a lot more conversational ability.
The Western Wall

The one question I've been asked a few times since expressing interest in returning to Israel is why? My friends and family knew about my urgency to leave and wonder what is drawing me back? To that I don't have a great answer, maybe it's all the amazing people I met while I was there, from teachers to people on the street Israelis are wonderful and kind. Maybe it's the Holy part of the Holy Land. There is something to be said about a strong presence of God there, and the history cannot be denied. I mean, I walked on a three thousand year old street and ran my hands along the wall of a tunnel from the time of King David. The only thing I can say for sure is I want to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment